This article is from I Corinthians 13:1-13.
In times past I have often avoided preaching from this familiar text, precisely because it is so familiar. Perhaps commenting and theologizing upon this text will open up some fresh insight for me so that I will be more apt to preach from it in the future.
Verse 1, as I translate it: "If (I could) speak in the tongues (languages) of people on earth and also the heavenly language, but do not have love, I am just making noise (a sound of no value)." There are two general types of glossalalia recognized in scripture: those known earthly languages, and also a special heavenly language that is spoken under inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The earthly languages can be interpreted by someone fluent in those languages, but for the heavenly language only an interpreter under inspiration of the Holy Spirit will be able to interpret the sense of what is said. In this opening verse, Paul picks out the most -often praised spiritual gift, that of speaking in tongues, as being of no importance if it is not accompanied with love. I say it is the most often praised gift because even today it is used as a sign in many churches that one possesses the gift of the Holy Spirit. For example, in ordination services of Catholic priests, the initiate is made to lie prone upon the floor, stretching out his hands to make the form of the cross, and speak in Latin, which is a substitute for the inspired gift of tongues.
Verse 2. "And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and have faith so as to remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing." Again, Paul singles out several spiritual gifts, the gift of prophecy, the gift of knowledge, and the gift of faith. The reader may want to consult Paul's letter to the Galatians and also Ephesians for other lists of gifts. It is evident that no gift can be apart from love and be a valued gift. The phrase, "so as to remove mountains," echoes Jesus' phrase, and I can't help but wonder if this phrase might be of a proverbial nature that is known to many people in the area.
Verse 3. "If I am generous and give away all my possessions, even give away my body to be burned (instead of buried), but have not love, I gain nothing." Paul again touches upon spiritual gifts, here specifically the gift of generosity. There is nothing to be gained through this sacrifice without love. In fact, no sacrifice makes any impression upon God whatsoever if it is apart from love. Since we can never outgive God, the whole point of being generous because you are doing it to benefit someone else is lost if there is no love.
Verses 4 - 7 make it clear that ego-driven motives for the things we do are excluded, and love is the only way.
Verse 10. Love is the completion (perfection) of all things. When the complete comes (fully), the incomplete (imperfect) will pass away. Paul is evidently thinking of the time when Christ shall return and set up his earthly kingdom, so that all is made whole, the earth is restored, and we are all in perfect harmony with the will of God. Love will then reign supreme.
Verse 13. Faith is mentioned in vs. 2, and also in vs. 7 (believes all things). Hope is mentioned in vs. 7. It is clear that no matter how much we may emphasize faith and hope, how much we may appreciate them or preach on them, ultimately they will fade away. They are needed now because Christ has not yet come. The kingdom is not complete, and we are not perfect yet. But when Christ comes, there is no need to hope for his coming and hope for things to get better---he'll be here! There will be little need for faith, for we have faith in that which we cannot see, and again---he'll be here for all to see!
All things have their beginning and end in love. Faith and hope are dependent upon love. Love is the only one of the three that can stand alone. Love is its own motive, its own reason for being. God is love, and that goes beyond any explanation, any human wisdom, and any power to conceive it or to own it. Love simply is, the beginning and the end.
Blessings,
Terry
No comments:
Post a Comment